B R E A K I N G N E W S U P D A T E S
(5:45 PM) Blanco Middle School and Rocky Road are now re-opened. Law enforcement authorities have concluded their investigatory search, which was assisted by bomb-sniffing dogs. In total two devices were found in the building. Blanco Middle School will remain open until 6:45 this evening for parents, teachers, and students to retrieve items left behind in the evacuation.
(5:10 PM) Law enforcement personnel are continuing their investigation at Blanco Middle School. The Blanco ISD website will provide an update when law enforcement has completed their investigation, and released their restrictions on Rocky Road and Blanco Middle School. When these restrictions are rescinded, Blanco’s website will post information regarding a scheduled time that parents, students, and teachers may come to the school to retrieve items that were left behind during the evacuation.
(3:25 PM) ***Press Release**
- Today at Blanco Middle School, it was reported to school officials that a student brought an explosive device to school.
- School officials investigated the report, and discovered a suspicious item.
- The school building was evacuated, and students were subsequently safely transported to the elementary gym.
- Officials from the Blanco Police Department, Blanco Sheriff’s Office, Blanco Fire Department, Blanco EMS, Austin Police Department, and Austin Bomb Squad are investigating the situation. The investigation is on-going.
- Afternoon dismissal for students at the middle school was coordinated from the elementary campus.
- The cooperation displayed by our students and staff to today’s emergency procedures was exemplary, and contributed to an orderly and organized response to an unfortunate situation.
- We thank parents for their patience and cooperation.
(3:20 PM) Rocky Road is closed at the vicinity of the middle school. Students who ride Bus 7 will take an alternative route. Their routine arrival time will be delayed.
(3:05 PM) All athletic events scheduled for today vs. Harper in Blanco have been canceled. Coaches are currently conferring with Harper coaches to decide whether to move the athletic events to Harper.
(2:35 PM) All middle school students have been safely evacuated to the elementary gym. The investigation by emergency personnel is ongoing. Officials on the scene at the middle school include Blanco Police Department, Blanco Sheriff’s Office, Blanco Fire Department, Blanco EMS, Austin Police Department, and Austin Bomb Squad. Officials analyzed photos of the suspicious device, and have directed a 200 foot evacuation perimeter around Blanco Middle School. Rocky Road is presently closed at that location.
(2:20 PM) Middle school students have been evacuated to the elementary school gym. We are currently releasing middle school students to their parents at the entrance to the elementary gym on Mesquite Street. Students who ride the bus home will board their bus at the elementary campus and be transported home as usual. Parents who pick up their children after school can pick up their child at the elementary gym. Students who walk home will be released from the elementary gym at 3:25 PM.
(1:55 PM) Law enforcement and fire department personnel expect their attention to this matter will last beyond 4:00 PM. The district is dispatching a fleet of buses to safely evacuate students from the middle school to the elementary school gym. Further information regarding dismissal procedures from school will be posted on the website.
(1:30 PM) Today at Blanco Middle School, it was reported to school officials that a student brought an explosive device to school. School officials investigated the report, and discovered a suspicious item. The school building was evacuated, and local law enforcement and fire department personnel are now attending to the situation to ensure the safety of all students and district property. The situation is on-going. Students, teachers, and all personnel at the middle school are safe. Updated reports will be posted on our website.